Ihab Robert Barsoum
September 9, 2009

… This was one of my questions that I was asking alumni when I was researching for an MBA course … I guess if you’re asking the same question, it’s important to first analyse what you’re looking for in an MBA: is it change, enlarging your network, financial/accounting knowledge, practical management tools, expanding your horizon, or a degree to add to your CV?
When I decided I wanted to go for an MBA, I was looking for short-term intellectual stimulation (as I did not consider I was challenged enough in my job) and a long-term change in career path. I didn’t want to leave my job and go for a full-time program because, although not challenging at the time, my job provided this very interesting thing called “salary”! … Of course in a typical Murphy’s Law fashion, I’m now all of a sudden busy and “intellectually stimulated” on all fronts!
IE Business School’s alumni seemed to have the best answer to my question: It depends on what you (the candidate) want to get out of it! … And I’m experiencing it now. Although I still have 11 months to go, I can say that I can already see some change: I have a close network of professionals that I would consider a bit more than “colleagues”, and the network and friendships are growing; I’m learning a lot of new things every day (and I can already understand what’s reported in the FT!!!); I analyse things a little differently … and the list goes on …
It’s great, fun, intense, disappointing (What? Surprised? I’ll talk to you bit more about that in future posts), exciting, unsettling, overwhelming, encouraging, and of course … EXHAUSTING (I know, I promised you a descriptive of the forums … soon)!
Till next time, take care,
IRB

No Comments

*