James Miller
March 2, 2010

First of all, I just want to say how happy I am to have the opportunity to give you insight into the IE Master in Sports Management Class of 2010 – 2011. I read the blogs of past students to help me decide to enroll in the program and to help me channel my excitement once I had enrolled. I hope that I can paint a picture for you on what the program is all about.

I just returned to Canada two days ago from the first face-to-face period in Madrid. What a fantastic experience it was. It was a whirlwind two weeks! The class for this year has 16 students, all males. There are 14 different nationalities which makes for a great atmosphere within the class. Lots of different perspectives and cultures to learn about. Another cool thing about our class is there is a lot of different ambitions and reasons for doing this Master. From the first day, there was a real sense of camaraderie and teamwork.

The first day of the face-to-face period provided us with the opportunity to meet our professors and classmates, learn about the Case Method (the main method of instruction for the program) and then we got right into our courses. The professors are outstanding. They run very interesting classes, are extremely knowledgeable, and have a vast amount of professional experience. Over the course of the two weeks in Madrid, in addition to starting our first term classes, we also had Industry Specific Conferences (run by professionals in the sports business sector) and World Awareness Seminars which are designed to encourage us think globally. The days of the face-to-face period were long and it was hard work but everyone really enjoyed it. The subject matter is so interesting to everyone that it’s easy to put the hours in. Sports are what we all love.

We also managed to squeeze in some fun as a group outside of class time. We went to a couple of football matches and a basketball game.

Everyone is really excited about the year ahead. We have already become good friends in just two weeks and I’m sure that we will all grow even closer during the next 13 months!

No Comments

*