Mia A. Gapuz
April 6, 2010

LISTEN.

Last month, I found myself getting a new mobile phone. I was surprised, most new models are now touch screen- where I can do Facebook, browse the web, pay online, or watch my favorite video on Youtube. These are SMART Phones. Funny, the old ones are now called DUMB Phones. Mobile evolution maybe?

Last night, I had a nice chat with five friends in five different places. Cool Messenger. And a year now, I update my family friends with my whereabouts- thanks to my blue bird pal, Twitter. Do you feel like bragging? Well, go online and get all those nice photos shot in various places in the world uploaded- in Facebook, Friendster or Orkut.

Why am I telling you all these?

THINK.

Because the primitive Homo Sapiens has come to evolve far beyond genetics. Like the Smart phones. Few have come to realize this, and many wouldn’t care much. But who cares anyway?

People look for opportunities. Get good employment, start their own businesses or get a good sideline. Why do we go to school? To get a good job? This is one side of the mentality. For me, the other side is – to build and maintain a Good Business.

Think about this: who would have thought that the Facebook which was started by a 23- year- old student and Google, which was started by a pair of PhD students are now worth billions of dollars?

For me, being equipped in this digital world to get a good job is really great what more to start up an online company.

Think about taking the road less travelled…

ACT.

All these are the reasons why I did the most important act- I enrolled at IE’s Masters in Digital Marketing. To learn Digital Marketing? Yes, but its more than that. A month at IE has taught me much more than I expected. Every day is very surprising and interesting. Very organized, very structured. Very practical and useful in my day to day role as an entrepreneur. The people are great. The professors have varied backgrounds which enhances my experience and learnings. The best thing is that, I am learning all these way far advanced than anyone else in the industry.

On the way to being a TECHNOPRENEUR? Working it out…

… NOW

I believe that recognizing the opportunities in the digital world at this early is the first step in becoming successful in any field that anyone is into. May it be running a business or getting employment.

The homo-sapiens have now evolved to being Digital Natives. Where most of their times are spent in the online world. Where they speak with one digital language. And those who would not find out what this language is, will face the fate of the Dumb phones.

When I recognized this opportunity, I did not lose any more time. I went online and proceeded with my enrollment at IE.

AHA!

At IE Business School, every after conversation with a classmate- i never fail to hear- “See you in the online forum”.

Next week, my classmates and I will meet at Miso’s Soup Kitchen at Second Life.

Now, I’m learning the Digital Language. ☺

Yes, you are right, the new media has a lot of opportunities. If you have the right skills and ideas you can start an own business.
As you mention daviv zuckerberg – he did the right thing at the right time…

Comment by LR — April 6, 2010 @ 7:15 pm

Hi LR. Thanks for your comment. You are right. As I mentioned, many of us are too busy that we miss out a big opportunity. Whether we like it or not, there is already an evolution- the digital world. Whether we are in sciences, engineering or accounting fields, our world is evolving fast. Yes, David Zuckerberg had an ingenius idea. There is very low risk in testing the waters. Who knows, the next big thing will spark from our own ideas? 🙂

Comment by Mia A. Gapuz — April 7, 2010 @ 10:59 am

Hi Mia, thanks!

I also want to share with you my vision of the master:

Do you want to enrole an online master? Please, read this!

http://www.pereznews.es
At times you´ll feel that it´s the best learning experience in your life, a minute later you will hate it so much for keeping you apart your normal life, your family, your work, your friends… Some days after you will have to write a challenging report, and then you´ll love it again. Like in a roller-coaster, your mood will go up and down in the 13 months that the Master in Digital Marketing from the IE Business Scool lasts. Your free time will be dramatically reduced to zero but, you will learn so much, you´ll feel it´s worth it. So far, I´ve been experiencing this for just a couple of months, will I survive?

April 5th 1010, 3.30 am Spanish time. I should have been sleeping for at least three hours now. But I feel it´s impossible. Too much adrenalyne. I just took an online financial accounting quiz, a 10-multiple choice exam which had to be done in just 15 minutes, I was so nervous that I did it in 13 minutes and 13 seconds. 13!!! Yes, that was bad fate: I only had 50 out of 100 points. Incredible: I studied quite a lot, hoped to have some good marks, and I almost fail! Prepaid expenses, liabilities, accrual accounting, deferrals… this explosive cocktail of financial terms keep banging in my mind and enables me to sleep.

Tomorrow, with deep dark circles and my deep black cup of coffee –no Starbucks, thanks–, I´ll wake up and realize that I have to read maybe 30 posts on the forum and post my dose of them. But I won´t be the only one: we´re currently 25 students, we have three online subjects each week, and we are supposed to write a maximum of five posts per week and subject… this means, a maximum 375 posts per week! Also, we have to sum up the professors ones. Crazy, crazy…. and it´s not my imagination, it´s more than real.

“Oh, Pilar, so you´re studying an online master? Don´t worry, it´s only online”, tell me some of my friends. But, yes, of course I have to: not only do I have to read hundreds of posts but discuss three reports per week with my group mates, read “three-kilo” accounting books, dozens of web pages, links, physical documentation, research and try to contribute to my class. So any magic tricks on how to do it? Just one: sleep very little.

With such an intensity of studies, I feel it´s impossible to balance smoothly all aspects of life. There are very few options you can try: share a little less time with the family, refuse to write some articles (I work as a freelance journalist), not reading all of the master´s documentation…. But, to do everything 100% perfectly it´s just impossible.

Nevertheless, I still feel it´s worth doing it: I´ve learnt so much in these weeks! How to work in a team with every member in a different country (Spain, Philippines, USA, Venezuela, United Arab Emirates and England), try to make yourself understand in a difficult environment -multiple time zones-… How to discuss via online, how to try to explain yourself just in words, how to collaborate via Google Docs, Skype or whatever…. And of course, many, many tips from our really interesting subjects (some, more interesting for me than others, I need to admit): SEO, SEM, campaign management, advergaming & metaverses, digital trade marketing, campaign management, digital advertising evolution… I even like some accounting! A master for masochists? No way. I hope that in some weeks time I´ll learn how to manage my time. Yes, please!

Comment by Pilar Pérez Ramírez — April 12, 2010 @ 11:34 pm

*