Ram Parasuraman
May 6, 2010
Howdy everyone! Hope you are hanging in there! I know I’m struggling to stay above water… but in the mean time, I thought I could take a break by answering some more questions…. always a pleasure to talk to Prospective Students… it is a calming influence amidst all the “controlled chaos” in the MBA world!
Q.21 What is your assessment of the Academic staff and how they deliver the program online?
A.21 The academic staff is very good. Most of our Professors have had in excess of 15 years of experience and many have PhDs. They are also diverse, some from Peru, some from India, others from Portugal, Spain, UK… they are all over the place and this online formats allows for Professor mobility as well. Read more about the diversity of the professors, here. These professors over the years have mastered the art of online instruction. Some are masters of the art, others are craftsmen and some others are great live instructors adapting their styles for the online format. They do a great job overall. So far I have had little to complain about. I just spoke about delivery formats in the previous Q&A. Please refer to part 6.
Q.22 Support for Recruitment program after graduation? How their influence in the corporate world  and what do you think this program would gain for you after you are done?
A.22 IE’s Career services are available to you just as with Full Time students. But be informed that IE may not be very well known as yet in places where there are established business schools, such as in the US and hence its leverage over US firms could be limited. But an MBA is an MBA and in an interview, the school grants you the opportunity, but you are the one who should seize it. So, if you are confident on your abilities, you should be good to go. Of course, if you wanted to move to Europe or Asia, IE is very well known there.
For the 2nd part of the question, please refer my answer to Q10.
Q.23 Are there any scholarships offered for the GMBA program? or any Loan help?
A.23 This is on a case by case basis depending on academic excellence or financial need. If you are working and earn a decent living, it is likely that IE will offer it to those who need it more than you. As such IE’s fee for GMBA is quite reasonable compared to US universities. IE does offer convenient installment options to suit your requirements. I also believe that they have some arrangement with local banks in Madrid, however, I don’t think that applies for GMBA, so you may have to contact a local bank or your company for financial assistance.
That’s all we have time for in this penultimate episode of the Q&A… Final Episode coming soon…. Watch this space and do post your questions via the comments section of this post for consideration into the final Part 8 of this Q&A series!
You can Read prior Q&A posts here:
Prior Episodes of this series:

Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4Part 5, Part 6

Until then, Buenos Noches!

The IE Global MBA from Sunny California

Many institutions limit access to their online information. Making this information available will be an asset to all.

Comment by Coursework Writing — May 6, 2010 @ 1:34 pm

Dear Ram,
thanks for all your effort you put in this FAQ list – it is extremely helpful. I would like to add two questions if still possible: From all the posts here I learned that the MBA is very stressful and a lot of work. But is it primarily the heavy workload that makes is stressful, or are the topics to tough and intellectually challenging – that you struggle with them for a long time?

Second question; how do you perceive the competition between students since you are all ranked on a curve? How important are grades anyway? Is there something like a Dean’s list at IE that gets published? Thanks and good luck for your final weeks of the courses.
Thanks for your answers.
Cheers Chris

Comment by Chris — May 6, 2010 @ 6:48 pm

Hi Chris,

Let me answer these right off the bat…

a. Yes, I do find the subject matter stressful. Coming from an engineering, R&D background, I have the least exposure of the lot. For instance, I have no experience with financial or cost accounting, no experience in Economics, not much in terms of Marketing, Strategy or Strategic management, except from an observer point of view. Lot of these are stimulated not just via textual learning, but also in depth discussions in class and also through individual papers that you write.

b. The curve grading is indeed a subject of discussion and there is an implicit healthy competition amongst us, but I can only speak for myself, but my highest priority is the learning that I take out of this course and am able to apply. The grades are confidential, so we don’t know others’ grades, so there may only be 1 or 2 people per class that gets an A, but we don’t know most often who those are, so the competition never gets too bitter. Everything is indeed relative in this world and not necessarily absolute, but IE has a system that we are all subject to, the ground rules are clear from day one.

Hope this helps!
Regards, Ram

Comment by Ram Parasuraman — May 6, 2010 @ 6:58 pm

Extremely well put Ram on answer b. above. Do you know if grades are disclosed to companies upon graduation?

Comment by Mahadev Subramanyan — May 7, 2010 @ 1:50 am

Hi Subbu,

Thanks for the comment. I don’t think grades are disclosed to anyone unless you wish to flaunt them yourself 😉

Regards, Ram

Comment by Ram Parasuraman — May 7, 2010 @ 6:40 am

I just this year go to learn! I will be useful to your advice! I think that your article is very useful

Comment by http://proofreading-services.org/proofreader.php — August 13, 2016 @ 8:12 pm

*