Ram Parasuraman
May 14, 2010
All of us authors have no doubt repeated the "buzz word" of an IE Business School Degree, its "diversity". But diversity as it turns out, does not just refer to people from different nationalities. There can be diversity even amongst the same nationality. For instance, it is only logical that India and China, the top two in the World's Most Populous Countries have more representation in a "Global" class. Since I am more familiar with India, let me take a nice little anecdote I have been fondly observing over the past few months in the Program.

Yes, we are all from India, but then some of us have lived in the Middle East before moving to the US, others have moved further due East, to Japan or Singapore. Others have landed up in the Mediterranean or Europe. You find nice shades of culture depending on how long we have lived in each of the countries outside of India. For instance, take me, I have lived in the US for over a decade now and have only worked  outside India. So, my work and presentation have a strong Western influence as it does for Hemal or Shelialla. On the other hand, Nitin, who has lived in Japan over the past several years or Raakesh, a co-author who resides in Singapore, show us a completely different side of their approach to projects and presentations. Yet others, like Samir who lives in Europe or Julie, Sagar or Russel that live in the Middle East, show us yet another variation. It is not just our style that varies, but also our sense of humor, our tastes, interests, the way we spell "humo(u)r" or say "schedule", etc. 

In my world of Digital Communications, we fondly refer to this as Modulation of signals after applying the nationality filter to allow for variations within the vast countries themselves, the duration for which we have been modulated, i.e. have been away from our home country for and the signal level, i.e. how far away from home we reside. So, someone living in Asia would be closer to an Indian living in India than one who lives in US. This is a classic Doppler effect 😉 

This is not rocket science, but you get but a few opportunities to observe such beautiful shades and gradations. The same can be observed for people from Russia, China, Mexico, Germany that live elsewhere. It is sheer beauty. To have the diversity of 30+ countries and several such shades of diversity amongst repeat countries is just a luxury to enjoy in an Online MBA program. It's truly a delightful experience.

The IE Global MBA from Beautiful California GMBA Q&A

You have a sharp eye to notice all these things amidst a hectic MBA. At work we only get 3 kinds : Fresh off the boat, new graduates – an extension of these and the Western types often with fake accents.

Good astute observations. Very good posts in this blog.

– Rajesh

Comment by Rajesh Ranganathan — May 14, 2010 @ 6:43 am

Very nice post. thank you for useful faq link

Comment by Shekhar — May 15, 2010 @ 2:46 am

Thanks Shekhar. Hope you have sent in your application to IE GMBA 😉 Spread the word!

Comment by Ram Parasuraman — May 17, 2010 @ 3:18 am

Very True Rajesh. We don’t get the entire spectrum in most places and you certainly don’t get to observe everyone over such periods of time either. So, this is indeed a great opportunity. We do need some asides during serious work, so some of these thoughts help 😉

Comment by Ram Parasuraman — May 17, 2010 @ 3:19 am

“In my world of Digital Communications, we fondly refer to this as Modulation of signals after applying the nationality filter to allow for variations within the vast countries themselves, the duration for which we have been modulated…” — Classy!!

Comment by Prachi — May 17, 2010 @ 9:52 am

Looking at this from the other side I remember my suprise when having known so many Indians through University, work and my MBA I arrived in India for the first time to find so many other “types” of Indians who were so very different from those I knew (all of whom had lived abroad). A real eye opener 🙂

Comment by Stephen Adamson — May 17, 2010 @ 1:29 pm

Didn’t know what keeps me coming back here, having completed my admissions process long ago. Now I know. The content just keeps getting better.

Keep up the great work! Indeed you are offering a valuable service.

Comment by Maddy Vasudevan — May 17, 2010 @ 7:32 pm

Stephen,

Thanks for your comments from the other side! You are in the luckiest position, being at the ramparts of the Diversity castle, observing students year after year. You will even have noticed cross-generational trends by this time. I envy you for that 😉 Please do keep commenting, your words add a touch of authenticity to the blog 😉

Regards, Ram

Comment by Ram Parasuraman — May 18, 2010 @ 1:51 am

Prachi,
Thanks! Do keep visiting and hope you have already applied to IE Business School and not IESE! 😉

Regards, Ram

Comment by Ram Parasuraman — May 18, 2010 @ 1:52 am

Maddy,
You are most welcome and any number of times 😉 Do add your valuable experience from Wharton as well. I am sure we would love to have you give us a talk in our Talk show, Biz Buzz 😉

Regards, Ram

Comment by Ram Parasuraman — May 18, 2010 @ 1:53 am

Hey Ram,
Great post!! Since you mentioned ME, I would like to say that here too we have diversity at our work places. But the main distinction is either you are a local or you are an expat 🙂 Expats maintain their working standards and principles & I am sure that’s the main reason we are hired 🙂
Your posts are very thought-provoking.. keep up the good job.
Julie
(your batch mate from Kuwait)

Comment by Julie Sam — May 18, 2010 @ 10:59 am

Hi Julie,
Thanks indeed for your observations and for the kind words! Keep coming back and adding your valuable insights into the mix as well!

Regards, Ram

Comment by Ram Parasuraman — May 19, 2010 @ 2:38 am

Hey Ram,

Very nice postings. Very informative indeed.

Comment by Sravanthi — May 21, 2010 @ 5:17 am

Thanks for the kind words Sravanthi.

Comment by Ram Parasuraman — May 21, 2010 @ 9:17 pm

*