Belén Fernandez
May 30, 2010

This week we received the grades of one of our subjects and I just can’t stop thinking how powerful a diverse and complementary team is.  One of the greatest things I experienced in this MBA is the various dynamics of different groups. You probably have heard that we have to work in teams for many group reports and presentations. Well, you will discover (or confirm in some cases) how great is variety and diversity of backgrounds when organized to produce a common output that benefit all group members.

How important is to respect and value skills in others! Especially those I don’t possess. These combination of different skills and personalities are invaluable assets in teamwork.

So next time you encounter a person very different from you, instead of thinking “Pff, we don’t have anything in common”…it might be better to pause and think: “Great, that person is so different from me! In which areas and how could we complement each other?”.  Just focus on each person strengths and do your best to collaborate in producing something in common, trust me, the result can be outstanding!

Remember this if you are embarking in an IE MBA. 😉 You will “see” it for yourself. The sooner you deeply recognize the value of diversity in others…. the sooner you will start discovering the real power of diverse, but collaborative teams.

As an exception this weekend we have to submit individual reports…and I cannot stop thinking: Pff, only having my input…it doesn’t look good enough! 🙂

1 Comment

Belen,

That’s a great post! Yes indeed, you start listening more and more as you go through the MBA. In fact I surprised my wife by seeking out her input more than usual since the MBA began. We start realizing the power of collaborative networking. It occurs differently in different groups and it is not always easy to get everyone talking, but when it does happen, the benefits are rich, not just to the group but to the entire class.

Regards, Ram

Comment by Ram Parasuraman — May 31, 2010 @ 1:21 am

*