Ram Parasuraman
October 13, 2010
A typical dilemma that we IE students incur in North America is how to "position" IE in the US, where it is relatively (& unfairly) unknown to many, especially in the West Coast. "An Elevator pitch", the few seconds you get to make an impression to a CEO or any influential person is critical to construe. You can't really describe IE with a lengthy description about its FT, BW or WSJ Worldwide MBA rankings or click on furious links on a Smartphone, as elevators don't usually have good 3G signals. So what do we do?

For me, this has evolved over the months from IE, a renowned Madrid based Entrepreneurial Business School, to a "Spanish cousin" of INSEAD! This gets instant recognition amongst several higher-ups… it is a different matter that IE beats INSEAD in several rankings these days, but INSEAD is surely richer in terms of its network in North America and hence its recognition. But I see the "I"s in Europe, IE, INSEAD, IMD, and IESE being quite similar in terms of their program duration, diversity, length and value. What differs of course is the methods of instruction, format of program, focus of the program, e.g. IE takes pride in its Entrepreneurship program whilst INSEAD is Marketing heavy, etc.

So, how do you describe for IE in your respective elevator pitches? Would you mind sharing it?

The IE Global MBA 2010 Ram Parasuraman

You really are a flag bearer for IE in the US man 😉

Comment by Robert — October 13, 2010 @ 6:55 pm

Hi Ram,

I must say you’ve pinpointed a very big dilemma for us students from America.

Your pitch line “cousin of INSEAD” sounds good. I’ll give it a try also 🙂

Regards,
Atul

Comment by Atul — November 1, 2010 @ 2:22 pm

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the kind comments.

Comment by Ram — November 6, 2010 @ 4:52 am

Hi Atul,

Thanks and do let me know how it works! In the past I tried “IE, the Wharton of Spain” (considering its strength in Finance), but that didn’t work too well.. I got a question “Why not Wharton of US??” 😉

Let me know if you come up with a better pitch!

Regards, Ram

Comment by Ram — November 6, 2010 @ 4:58 am

Why not try – the only non US school ranked in the WSJ top 25?

Or one of the top 10 schools in the world according to Business Week?

By referring to US publications rather than The Economist or Financial Times you gain credibility in the US market (not that I consider these rankings more credible but US employers probably do).

Also, when asked “Why not Wharton” I think the best answer is diversity, a Wharton class has only 20 – 30% frm outside the US at most,while the GMBA has students from all over the world….this has to give you a more international viewpoint!

Comment by Stephen — November 30, 2010 @ 11:09 am

Incredible story there. What occurred after? Thanks!

Comment by Angelica — April 26, 2013 @ 8:54 pm

These are really great ideas in regarding blogging.
You have touched some nice things here. Any way keep up
wrinting.

Comment by dragon city facebook — March 19, 2015 @ 6:29 am

*