Ram Parasuraman
December 7, 2010

Blog or Facebook updates from my friends and also former authors in this blog about the MBA experience and not just in IE, goes like this… “If I had to do it again, I’d do it in a heartbeat!”…. It is certainly neither the first time or the most recent time that phrase has been used in the context of the MBA but it certainly got me thinking about it. Clearly whatever I am going to write below this line is my personal opinion only and does not intend to generalize or offset any other valuable opinions.

So, “Would I do this again?”

For me, in the MBA experience, there are things I would readily sign up to in a heartbeat and other things that I would shy away or hesitate. For instance, would I jump on board to a Global platform where you have access to the brightest minds, debating real issues and challenging your comfort zone each day in a year? For sure! Would I like to participate in the World’s most diverse class discussions? Without a doubt! Would I like to learn things I never knew about? Yes and forever Yes! Would I like to interact with people from different backgrounds? It can never hurt! And so on… the answers to several questions are a thumping YES!

But now, some of the personal issues that have been nagging me for an entire decade begin to cast doubts… “Would I be able to maintain the same energy level, intensity and passion on the discussions?” At this stage, I am not sure. “Would I be able to sell it to my family, friends and employer?” Don’t want to say “NO”, but I’m not feeling too confident about it to put it lightly! “Would I give up a real life, a real vacation or even a real weekend for an entire year and a half?”. Well it depends.. some things are worth giving up these factors for. “Would I be willing to put my career in a cruise control mode for another year?” NO.. and this is why I joined IE, where I could complete my MBA in one good length Anaerobic workout! I know several people take different approaches to a Part Time MBA, but for me, it was intentionally more than Full Time, because I only wanted to do this once.

But transcending all the mundane factors.. “Would I like this experience that is just about to finish.. to be replaced by any other?” NO NO NO!! I want this experience to stay with me throughout my life! A lifelong relationship with these memories and experiences! To give these experiences a whole new meaning, it is time to put them into practice and do this class and IE proud!

Very well written piece, Ram. I have been enjoying all your blog posts. They have been most informative and educational. An aspriing MBA like me benefits a lot from this reading and you have inspired me to consider an online degree. All the best to you in your pursuits.

Comment by Brij Gopal — December 10, 2010 @ 1:24 am

Hi Brij,
thanks for your kind comments and wishes!
Regards, Ram

Comment by Ram — December 11, 2010 @ 12:50 pm

DIMR Provide appreciation of cross-cultural issues through exposure to international students.

Comment by MBA Institutes — December 30, 2010 @ 10:23 am

*