Afueri Edeki
April 9, 2010

It’s a reality for us GMBAers that we have to put 120% behind work activities and that of our MBA, so how do we balance both? “It’s impossible”, do I hear? “There has to be a trade-off, I mean something’s gotta give”. Well to me it’s simple: Teamwork.

This underrated word rings new meaning to me on so many levels these days. Not that I haven’t been appreciative in the past but mulling over the last few months I have come to be more grateful to say the least. Let me paint my current situation from two angles:

WORK: Deadlines fast approaching, first quarter performance reviews, project status updates, executive engagement sessions, customer requests that they wanted “yesterday”…

MBA: New subjects to familiarise with, Individual report due in 2days, 2 team assignments due this week, 1 still undone, 3 articles unread, 2 pending for the following week…

Now the difference between both “lives” for me at the moment is that in my MBA, I’m part of a team. With the amount of work you’re faced with you have to be able to depend on others to achieve that goal: they pick up your slack, cover for you when you can’t deliver, sacrifice their time and sleep, offer to discuss points you don’t understand, show you where you went wrong…the list is endless. Even if you’re used to working on your own or never failing to meet deadlines; with our current schedule, this is the way to achieve that 120%.

You just don’t see it till you list everything you have to deliver.
THEN do you realise the reality in which you live (…or maybe throw in a quiz or three!).

Afueri (O da bo: Good bye in Yoruba)
Dedicated to the A-Team! (S1, GMBA 2010) 😉

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.